Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Faithful Citizenship

As I've mentioned before, I was raised Catholic, and abandoned the faith when I was about 20 or 21.  I honestly didn't agree with the teaching on birth control (I now have a grasp on the reasoning, but issues remain).  In any case, it has informed my spiritual and philosophic views of life, the universe and everything.  As I slowly come to some semblance of maturity, I'm beginning to find that the Church is starting to make more sense to me.

So, I was bouncing around the interwebs (as I do), and found a U.S. News and World Report on the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops' (USCCB)  Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship .  The article discusses how there are "Faithful Citizenship" meetings in Dioceses across the country.  One of them, in Cleveland, Ohio, "...led in part by open Obama-supporter Karen Leith, downplay(s) abortion and religious freedom, issues of irreducible importance to Catholic voters."

I'd like to have a discussion with someone knowledeableon the issues, about personal adherence to no abortion in my own life (Ihave no problem with that), versus not making it legally available (life pre-Rowe vs. Wade)  I realize that women are going to have them, and I can't see forcing them into the proverbial dark alley to meet with someone who owns a coat hanger.  Am I morally obligated under the Church's teachings to opposing this?  Knowing that prohibition generally doesn't work, should we make abortion medically safe for the putative mother-to-be (a.k.a., the murderer-to-be)??

Anyway, follow the links, read the whole thing, and vote with a true heart.

And go read this at The Anchoress:  Teddy Roosevelt on how Republics Die…

No comments: